Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thing 15 - Library 2.0 and beyond

Many new discoveries in this exercise. One exciting find was a wiki WebTools4u2use, as well as a wonderful list of blogs broken down by categories that specifically deal with Library 2.0 called socialnetworking4teachers. So, of course, I had to add a few of those to my Google Reader. Since those finds were wickis, I am sure I'll be visiting them again in future blog postings. I did see one project for elementary school students on the list called The Flat World 1001 Tales which may bear looking into.

In terms of ideas about using Web2.0 as a teacher I have a long way to go and I need to see how much of this will be allowed by our tech department and/or school administration. Encouraging elementary school students to have their say on blogs and wickis involves many more people than the traditional library services and certainly involves more advance planning. This goes beyond lesson plans and teacher collaboration to include IT cooperation, parental permissions, registering for accounts, technical reliabilities, comfort on my part, etc... I think we'll be able to do this through our school's secure Edline account, but I think parents are the only ones with logins at the moment. I'm ready to tackle it this year, but it wasn't fair of Dr. Wendy Schultz to be talking about Library 3.0 and Library 4.0 already when I'm still getting my mind wrapped around the potential of 2.0!

No comments: