Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Thing 1 2009

After watching the Networked Student my first reaction was "Hey, that's me -- thanks to 23 1/2 things!" I've not continued active blogging on this blog, but my PLN is intact, my wiki works, and my connections are so much richer than this time last year. So, I started asking all the college students I know about their PLN's and, guess what... they don't have one, at least not for learning, just for social networking. Their MP3's have only music. Their twitters are for fun. Their youtube use is voracious, but the sillier the better.

So I think there is still a great need for librarians and teachers to help them exploit the full potential of their tools. Personally, I am in an elementary library, so I will just keep teaching the tech basics, showing what's out there on the net, explaining intellectual property and promoting literacy of many kinds to try to get them ready. Another important role is to encourage my teachers to keep learning, to get their PLN's going, and to see what's out there to help them in their job of teaching in the classroom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've missed something in all of these trainings: what's a PLN?

VWB said...

personal learning network