Friday, June 27, 2008

Thing 13 - del.icio.us and tagging

del.icio.us is delightful and i don't know how I managed with my ikeepbookmarks account which I found very slow to load sometimes crashed on me. Having the buttons on my browser made all the difference and I am smitten with tags. Now I understand what all the chatter has been about replacing sears and Dewey categories with tags. You can create your own categories that make sense to you. I appreciated the simplicity of the embedded Commoncraft video. Here is my fledgling list.

For professional development, seeing what everyone else is reading is so important. Finding helpful websites, vetted by other librarians is so easy with this site. Organizing flexibility and specifically remembering what I liked about a site, will be so helpful.

For students, keeping track of all their sites to go back to fix citations and check facts would be helpful. Finding sites preselected by the teacher without having to type them , even from home, will be very beneficial. Teaching students to evaluate websites for instance by looking at the difference between a popular and unpopular site with the same information.

Only thing I don't like about del.icio.us is the name! The word Furl is easier to type but I didn't care for it as much aesthetically, and there weren't as many results as I would have liked on ma.gnolia,.

No comments: